What Is A DVSA Approved Driving Instructor
What Is A Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency Approved Driving Instructor DVSA ADI?
A Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency Approved Driving Instructor, DVSA ADI is the qualification required to be able to teach driving professionally.
It is illegal for someone to receive payment of any kind for supervising a learner driver or teaching driving to a driver at any level of ability in a category B vehicle (car or van), unless you are either registered as a Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency Approved Driving Instructor, DVSA ADI, or are licensed by DVSA as a Trainee Driving Instructor.
The qualification has previously been called:
- Ministry of Transport Approved Driving Instructor, MOT ADI
- Department of The Environment Approved Driving Instructor, DoE ADI
- Department of Transport Approved Driving Instructor DoT ADI, and DfT ADI
- Driving Standards Agency Approved Driving Instructor, DSA ADI
The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency is an executive agency of the Department for Transport, DfT.
DVSA’s responsibilities include:
- Carrying out theory tests and driving tests for people who want to drive cars, motorcycles, lorries, buses and coaches, and specialist vehicles.
- Approving people to be driving instructors and motorcycle trainers, and making sure they provide good-quality training.
- Approving people to be MOT testers, approving the centres they work in, and testing lorries, buses and coaches themselves.
- Carrying out roadside checks on commercial drivers to make sure they follow safety rules and keep their vehicles safe to drive.
- Monitoring recalls of vehicles, parts and accessories to make sure that manufacturers fix problems quickly.
- Approving training courses for qualified drivers, such as Driver Certificate of Professional Competence courses for lorry, bus and coach drivers, and drink-drive rehabilitation courses.
- Supporting the Traffic Commissioners for Great Britain and the Northern Ireland transport regulator to license and monitor companies who operate lorries, buses and coaches, and to register local bus services.
Pages in the Driving Instructor Qualification Process Section of the Driving Instructor Trainers website:
Sections of the Driving Instructor Trainers Website:
- Driving Instructor Trainers Home Page
- Driving Instructor Trainers Important Information
- Driving Instructor Qualification Process
- DVSA ADI Part 1 Explained
- Preparing For DVSA ADI Part 1
- DVSA ADI Part 2 Explained
- Preparing For DVSA ADI Part 2
- DVSA ADI Part 3 Explained
- Preparing For DVSA ADI Part 3
- Driving Instructor Trainee Licence
- DVSA ADI Training Programme
- Training To Be A Driving Instructor
- DVSA ADI Training Locations And Fees
- Free Training And Other Offers
- Decisions About Driving Instructor Training
- Choices after Qualifying As A Driving Instructor
- CPD Training For Qualified Driving Instructors
- Terms Of Business
- Other Resources
- Law & Documentation A Driver’s Guide
- Get In Touch With Driving Instructor Trainers